Fresh Fire Ministries preacher Todd Bentley.

From Leap Of Faith to Marjoe, the prospect and possibility of healing and revival, especially in a corporate context has been of immeasurable interest to Christians and non-Christians alike. Faith healings, fake healings, miracles, and money, revival can be an understandably controversial subject even in the most open-minded of circles. So what happens when people without a financial or political agenda claim the impossible?

Since April 3rd, the Florida Healing Outpouring has been taking place in Lakeland, Florida. Ignited Church originally invited Todd Bentley (the world’s most tattooed and therefore coolest preacher) to speak and minister for a few days, but meetings continued daily (now about 56 days as of May 26th). The meetings have been planned “indefinitely.”

According to Wikipedia: “Many people attending or watching via TV or the internet have claimed miraculous healings, and as of May 24th, 13 people have claimed to be raised from the dead.”

Go here to see some of the happenings on video.

As a 90’s church kid raised in North America, I feel forever caught in doubter’s limbo. On the one hand, I have purposely and intellectually based my worldview around a God that (if He wanted to) could move mountains, heal the sick, and raise the dead. On the other hand, I’m cripplingly self aware of how ridiculous these ideas often seem to my secular (and cynical Christian) contemporaries, not to mention myself.

Its important to understand that disbelieving a miracle does not equate disbelief in God. But its also important to understand that as Christians our skepticism is built upon a foundation that fervently believes in the potentially miraculous. Even if, and really, especially if, that involves dead people becoming … less dead. You remember Jesus…

Regardless, the deplorable faith healing past, so overwrought with scandal and spiritual abuse that it warrants its own Wikipedia entry, is a very real very hard-edged line in the sand between the would be faithful and faithless.

As a sidenote, “slaying in the spirit” has to be the most bizarre, frightening thing to non-Christians.

Jordan Kurtz

14 Responses to 13 people “raised from the dead” in Florida

1. Joy says:

ya, this is good stuff…especially “disbelieving a miracle does not equate disbelief in God.” I think sometimes we are afraid to doubt a miracle b/c we’re afraid it means our faith is not strong enough.

2. just Pete says:

Fascinating. I think my eyes were opened when I started going down to the Dominican Republic and Haiti over the last several years. Miracles, faith healings, demon possession all seem to be more prevalent in these areas. In the past, I would have chalked this up to lack of credible media coverage. But after seeing it first-hand, I understand it has more to do with allowing God’s Spirit or other spirits to work within a person. Amazing things are happening these days through faith, we just don’t allow them to in our comfortable lives. Believers disbelieving, I think. Too bad.

3. John Wofford says:

Along with a friend of mine, I visited the General Assembly meeting of a denomination affiliated with both Bentley and (most prominently) William Branham, who was (as far as I’m concerned) a charlatan and a lunatic, at least in terms of his verbose claims and so-called miracles. Bentley has made the statement that he is frequently visited by the same angels that assisted in William Branham’s “ministry.” Having a little bit of history with this movement, I have to confess that not only do I not believe, but that there is not one shred of evidence that this man is anything more than a deceptive showman.

4. nathan says:

this guy scares me.
    reminds me of BH for 2008.

5. Joy Ike says:

in response to comment #2, I think the reason you are more likely to see satanic attacks in 3rd world countries is because satan usually goes after the people who are the biggest threat to him. people in 3rd world countries are on fire for God and doing things for God. But we american Christians are so spoiled and our faith is so watered down and weak. we’re lazy christians who really dont understand what it means to go after God

6. Jim Smart says:

One thing most folks forget. As Christians we are not only children of our Father God and Jesus Christ but also instruments we willingly yield ourselves to His will. I personally know Todd and know his heart to see people delivered from the clutches of sin. Lets give God the glory that Todd would be willing to be used of our Father to facilitate His will in the earth today!!

7. JB says:

In response to comment #6. I get your idea, but I must disagree. It’s not that Satan isn’t worried about America, it’s that he just attacks us in a different way. Having gone to Honduras a few times, I can testify to seeing demons being cast out, or miracle healings taking place. I believe Satan uses fear in these places because they are susceptible. People know he exists there. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve encountered that are active and open about their use of witchcraft. He’s real to these people. In America, he’s done a pretty good job of making himself seem like a lie. It’s been said that Satan’s greatest lie is that he doesn’t exist. Yes, he goes after America differently, not with fear, but deception. Look at America for a second, not to be ‘close-minded and unaccepting’, but we are among the worst. Look at how many abortions we’ve let slide, look at our slipping laws concerning homosexual rights. Now let’s look at the two sins that cause God to destroy a land in the OT, Sodom and Gomorrah, for homosexuality, and later Israel (though he had mercy and let them live, just scattered), for sacrificing babies. I’m not saying God is going to smite us, I’m saying that Satan is EXTREMELY active in America, he doesn’t come to make us lazy, but to destroy us. Truth is, he’s here, he’s attacking us, and for the most part we don’t know it.

As for the Revival, I’m going tonight, I can’t wait. Ever since I was invited to tag along with some of my friends my spirit has been hopping inside me. I’ve got that Holy Spirit excitement that can’t be faked. Whatever you believe about Bentley, I can tell you God has something for me there.

• Katie D. says:

JB, I am EXTREMELY curious as to what you witnessed during that session you were writing about in your comment! What happened? I am searching for evidence of Jesus raising the dead TODAY and want to really know if He does. I am hugely aware that Americans, Christian or not, don’t believe this and therefore Jesus does not reveal His power in this way (He ONLY healed, cast out demons, raised the dead when people BELIEVED Him – if not, He wouldn’t do it). I also believe Satan does use this for destruction of our faith and deception. I’m looking for evidence because I BELIEVE HE DOES, but if He does, who has come back in our generation?…

8. I love it how revivalists have no idea that the term ‘slaying’ means “to be put to death by violence”.

How your spirit can survive THAT must be the greatest miracle to happen at these events. It’s also humorous to note that not even eternal Hell puts the spirit ‘to death by viloence’.

Unquestioned modern faith without critical observance of it’s development and identity throughout recorded history is niave at best, horrifying at worst.

Your opinion, my opinion – both must be subject to a higher objectivity than just our own subjectivity.

Think about it.

Richard

9. shelly says:

In regards to comment #8…

S&G were NOT destroyed because of homosexuality. There are passages of scripture that state those two cities were destroyed because they were very wealthy but didn’t care for the poor. (The only passage to even suggest that it was due to sexual sin is in Jude.)

As for Israel “scattering babies”, that isn’t a reference to aborted fetuses; it’s a reference to babies who’d already been born.

As for the “revival” in Lakeland, personally, I have to question it, too. If good things are happening, great. But at the same time…is there any irrefutable proof that these resurrections have taken place? What about any other miracles that may’ve happened? What of any new converts? Are they being mentored/discipled? Also, have any of you read up on Todd Bentley’s beliefs or whatnot? I have to question some of that, too (particularly the whole “Emma” business). I’m not saying the fella has to be perfect; however, being theologically sound wouldn’t hurt.

10. Joel Kall says:

BOTH TODD BENTLEY AND RICK JOYNER AND WHOLE LAKELAND REVIVAL IS FALSE, AND OF UNCONTROLLED, UNBIBLICAL KUNDALINI SPIRITS NOT A MOVE OF GOD TRUE BIBLICAL OF BIBLE, GODS WORD, AND NOT A MOVE OF BIBLICAL JESUS CHRIST, GODS SON, AND NOT A MOVE OF BIBLICAL, GODS HOLY BIBLE, GODS WORD, SPIRIT, BUT DIRECTLY OF SATAN HIMSELF! WAKE UP:
    alturl . com / e4hbr AND:
    alturl . com / e8wm4
    GOD BLESS.

ANDREW STROM IS GOOD HAS MANY GOOD PONTS, BUT FOLLOW NOT HIS BAPTISM TEACHINGS ALL TRUE REBORN BELIVERS ARE BAPTISED INDWELLED BY GODS BIBLE, GODS WORD, HOLY SPIRIT UPON CONVERSION.
    FIX DOT AND SLASH CLOSER AND LINK WORK, IF LINK NOT LOAD RELOAD SOME TIMES:
    alturl . com / 53z6j
    GOD BLESS

GOD BLESS LETS JUST REMBER, JUDGE BIBLICALLY RIGHT TEST DECERN EVERYTHING AND ALL ETC:
    YOU MUST DIFFER BETWEEN GODLY AFTER BIBLE, AND GODS SPIRIT JUDGE, DECERN TEST, VS WORLDY OWN WILL NOT AFTER BIBLE NOR HIS SPIRIT OR LIVE AND DO BIBLE, BY GODS TRUE BIBLE HOLY SPIRIT, IN LOVE, AND BY OUR WILL DAILY LIVE OUT, TEACH SOUND BIBLICAL DOCTRINE JUDGE ERROR ETC.
    FIX DOT AND SLASH CLOSER AND LINK WORK, IF LINK NOT LOAD RELOAD SOME TIMES:
    alturl . com / 53z6j
    GOD BLESS

JESUS CHRIST, GODS SON IS THE ONLY WAY TO THE FATHER, GOD, BE NOT DECIVED KUNDALINI SPIRITS ENERGY IS OF SATAN AND DEMONIC UNCONTROLLED EVIL WICKED SPIRITS READ AND HEED THE BIBLE, GODS WORD, GODS ONLY TRUE AND REAL VOICE, AND GODS HOLY BIBLE, GODS WORD SPIRIT THAT, ALWAYS ARE INLINE WITH BIBLE.
    Rapture truth, fix slash and dot closer, and read the whole webpage.
    alturl . com / odrxm
    God Bless.

Watch and pray to be worthy to escape in Gods true rapture before all evil, all this comming madness and evil of Great Tribulation but go nowhere or believe in any sign in the sky or Jesus face or cors picture go nowhere and believe no one saying Christ is here or there or in secret a false blubeam rapture is in progress of Satan and fallen angels and Ufos and Usos etc and aliens demons fallen ones.
    alturl . com / c98vt
    If not work reload link many times or try in 30 min or next day.
    God bless.

WHAT JESUS CHRIST TRUE OF YAHWEH AND HIS HOLY BIBLE, GODS WORD, SPIRIT MEAN WITH THAT JESUS FURFILL IT AND WHAT LIVE BY GODS AND HIS SON, JESUS CHRIST AND HIS TRUE HOLY BIBLE, GODS WORD, SPIRIT RIGHTOUSSNESS MEANS:
    alturl . com / 4roic (IMPORTANT BIBLICALL TRUE TEACHINGS YAHWEH AND HIS SPIRIT SHOWN AND VITAL alturl . com / vvhnu , COMPARED TO SO MANY MISSUNDERSTANDINGS)
    FIX DOT CLOSER AND LINK WORKS, BE BLESSED. GOD BLESS.

NOT A TRUE HONEST APOLEGY FROM TODD BENTLEY, NOT EVEN MEANTION THE RIGHT THINGS THAT HE IS A FALSE PROPHET DECIVING THE WORLD AND PEOPLE WITH KUNDALINI EVIL SPIRITS FROM SATAN UNCONTROLLED EVIL, AND ALL KIND OF EVIL WEIRDNESS… OR RICK JOYNER ETC FLSE PROPHETS KUNDALINI EVIL UNCONTROLLED UNBIBLICAL CRAP!!!! BIBLICAL TRUE YAHWEH, WILL SOON, DESTROY ALL EVILDOERS AND THEIR FOLLOWERS ALL WAKE UP AND REPENT AND FORSAKE THE EVIL!, GOD BLESS.

Jeremiah 23:31 Yes,” declares the LORD, “I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and yet declare, ‘The LORD declares.’
    Jeremiah 27:15 ‘I have not sent them,’ declares the LORD. ‘They are prophesying lies in my name. Therefore, I will banish you and you will perish, both you and the prophets who prophesy to you.'”

WAKE UP AND GOD BLESS: alturl . com / e4hbr FIX LINK CLOSER AND IT WORKS. BIBLICAL YAHWEH TRUE OF BIBLE, GODS WORD, WARNS OF FALSE LAKELAND REVIVAL OF SATAN, ALSO LEARN TO READ AND HEED THE BIBLE, GODS WORD, GODS ONLY REALLY TRUE VOICE, AND YOU WOULD NOT BE FOOLED BY THE EVIL WICKED FALSE PROPHETS AND FALSE TEACHERS, GOD BLESS!

You are decived! Satan is able to mimick all kinds of Signs and Wonders, even raise people from the dead! God Biblical is testing us! Deut.13:1-5 God is testing you follow Biblical Jesus Christ of Gods Word, and Biblical Yahweh and Biblical Gods Holy Spirit!!! He preaches another false Jesus Christ of Satan, as will be confirmed by lying Signs and Wonders 2 Thes.2:8. Great deception and Fall Away Now! Kundalini Deception Stop talking about Grace twisting it as Bible Jude 1:4 Warns of Wake up!

• Mike Cremer says:

Hi Joel

A house divided cannot stand. Why on earth would Satan use Todd Bentley and Rick Joyner(who are pointing people to God) to further advance his kingdom of darkness? I have been encouraged by them. That has not further advanced Satan’s kingdom but God’s. This is a poor game plan by TB and RJ of they are working for Satan…

Stop looking for reasons to disqualify people, and rather look for reasons to qualify them. That’s what Jesus did. Remember Him… The Auther and Perfector of our faith?! He hung out with, and believed in disciples who were prepared to hack of someone’s ear for His cause, or prepared to invoke fire and destruction on a city after performing a few miracles. Jesus loved them regardless, even if they did stupid things! He did not use their imperfections to disqualify them for ministry. I think we all need to follow his example, hey?!