If exploiting one’s sexuality is a crime against intelligence, than running from it is a crime against nature. Like Rob Bell points out in his latest book Sex God, its a lazy, childish adage that blames carnal sin on uncontrollable “animal instinct.” As if to negate the uniquely human ability to understand and practice self control. However, the case is also made that on the flip-side sits an equally ridiculous extreme that says sexuality is something to be ashamed of, repressed, or ignored.

Christians it would seem tread this line more carefully than most any faux pas. Taught young that while its not right, it is normal to secretly indulge online in a dark basement, so long as you shake your head at explicit commercials during the super bowl party, and fast forward racy film scenes when your parents are around. Teen pregnancy and abortion rates, as well as the startling follow up stats on promise-card-chastity-pledges show that the long standing method of “IT’S BAD, DON’T DO IT” simply isn’t working.

What Christian kids (and adults) would benefit from is a no holds barred, honest to God, analytical understanding of how real and amazing and powerful sexuality is, and how its never successfully repressed, only rerouted. It will show up in your life whether you like it or not, and the only realistic way to stay afloat is to learn the values of self respect, intrinsic worth, and to acknowledge the fact that its there, that we all see it, and that pretending its not won’t help anything.

Krystal Meyers is not a sex symbol. Although as of today she might be the closest thing CCM has to one. Which might be a good thing, if it were that simple. Her new record Make Some Noise hits stores Sept. 9th, and her new video (below) hit the internet earlier this month.

So. What is the value of a marginally, almost-sexy Christian music video? If its just another shot at quick cash, then it belongs in MTV shallowsville, along with the rest of our scornful judgement. But if it says “hey actually, I am a girl, and I am beautiful, and I like to dance, and I don’t need to dress or act like I’m 50 just because beauty might ‘make you stumble,’ and just cause you can see my armpits and I’m on a table, doesn’t mean that I’m a slut,” then I say preach it.

Nobody is going to stop you from “stumbling.” Even if every Christian female traded in their brand names for burkas, there would still be hyper-ample opportunity for God loving bros to “fall into temptation.” I for one am more than able to watch this video and get down to the beat and not be at all attacked by the urge to go do it with myself. If you can’t watch it without your mind getting away on you then that’s totally okay. Don’t watch it, but don’t blame some lipstick and blonde locks for a lack of self control. Don’t dangle too close to the edge by any means, but don’t get upset at a tasteful portrayal of youth, beauty, and healthy Christian sexuality. If the view is too hot as they say, then turn out the lights.

Christianity is not about censorship, its about discernment. How skewed our reality becomes when we label any small glimpse of sexuality as sexual immorality. The scripture I know says to avoid “even a hint” of sexual immorality. But the God I know created me with much more than a hint of sexuality.

Besides. This song is EASILY the best thing that ever happened to Krystal Meyers. I’d trade in a bad Avril ripoff for a good Katy Perry ripoff anyday.

Jordan Kurtz

0 Responses to Krystal Meyers makes some (sexy?) noise

1. I don’t know – I totally get your point but I see it more from the angle that if this video were being made by Toby Mac, Jeremy Camp, Stellar Kart or (insert any CCM male artist here) then nobody would even raise an eyebrow.

I think we’re making the same point but the most surprising thing to me is that the song and video are actually halfway decent!

2. Jordan says:

Yeah its a great song.

I think you make a really good point. Perhaps there’s a Wild At Heart double standard in Christian culture that doesn’t blink when men embrace their tough, masculine sexuality, even though women are discouraged from being their beautiful, passionate selves.

The point of the article was to point out that while modesty and integrity are priceless attributes, Christian men would do well to affirm the sexuality of their sisters in Christ, without misunderstanding or objectifying it.

3. Emily says:

Jordan, I couldn’t agree with you more.

Christians, especially Christian pop culture, have been scared of sexuality for too long. I say this being raised on steady diet of “I kissed dating goodbye”.

As appealing to me, as a women, as being quiet, docile, “captivating”, and wooed, while clostering my sexuality in the name “godly” femininity is, I think I’ll pass. (Note: spare me!)

How about both genders recognize that God created them as sexual beings, and cross our fingers that Christian culture will hop on the ol’ bandwagon with us?

4. Taylor says:

You’re right about the “Wild at Heart” double standard Jordan. It, as well as its companion book, “Captivated” are rife with them. Rather than outline what the Bible actually says about sex, it frames current societal trends as the Christian ideal. Man as rescuer and woman as “helpless maiden” isn’t a Biblical idea, its a stereotype that has been present in our culture for ages. And so too is the idea that men are insatiable sexual beasts, while women are purely emotional, and incapable of arousal from a purely physical standpoint.

5. The Pete says:

“…do it with myself…” Classic Kurtz.

6. Nathan says:

i think of jessica simpson.

and how she was kicked out of ccm music because of her sexuality.

generalization, i know.

but still, if there was a more honest look at sexuality in the christian community maybe jessica could have…
    (ok, i’m not seeing how it would have worked, but who am i to say that even her boots could be turned for a purpose more than distracting me in a costa rican internet cafe)

lirv.
    nathan.

7. Ryan says:

The video to me really didn’t have any sexy qualities about it. I mean she was getting “down and dirty” in the christian sense i guess, but to me she’s trying to be more like miley cyrus and what the teen pop scene is accepting these days. She’s trying to be cool in a club with people around her jumping with arms up in the air and a few break dancers here and there. We’ve seen hundreds of them before and will keep seeing them. Now the “brand” of christianity is trying to copy. Great…

8. Rachel says:

It’s not like the camera angle is going down her shirt or focusing in on her bare thighs or anything. I think what is meant to be seen here is “girl being girl,” not “girl trying to seduce you.” If this makes you stumble, you’ve got more problems than this music video. I think gender, especially female gender, is something that is under-celebrated in Christian culture.

9. Nikki says:

I would have to disagree. This video and song are completely indistinguishable from the secular music and videos out there. And there should be some difference, or it will be the same as a lukewarm christian. And the bible tells me that the Lord will spit them out of his mouth. I am all for raising the standards of musicality and complexity of lyrics, but dont make it secular either. I mean, we are supposed to be set apart from the world, not trying to blend in with it. Personally, all this said to me was “sell out”

10. Beth says:

I don’t think having a similar style to so-called “secular” culture is the same as being a lukewarm Christian. Some might even call it being relevant to culture (is it ok to say “relevant” on this site?). I think we’re called to be set apart from the world in the way we live our lives, the choices we make with our money and time and bodies, not the style of video and song we prefer to create. Whether she’s selling out or not depends on whether she’s making the music she loves, or trying to conform to someone else’s pattern, and who can say?

Jordan, another thoughtful piece. Made me think, made me laugh, made me miss you… ever thought about giving up the radio and doing this for a living? Your writing is blowing me away.

11. […] review of “Make Some Noise” on Patrol Mag cites the videos provocative imagery, racy by Christian […]

12. I was extremely pleased to find this web site. I need to to thank you for your time just for this fantastic read!!

I definitely savored every bit of it and i also have you book-marked to see
    new stuff on your blog.