So Australian pastor Danny Nalliah claims he knows what caused Victoria's devastating brushfires: laws legalizing abortion. His evidence? He dreamed about raging fires one night and got "a flash from the Spirit of God: that His conditional protection has been removed from the nation of Australia, in particular Victoria, for approving the slaughter of innocent children in the womb."

I don't think we have to go over this again, but just in case …

1) Cultivating an image of judgmental hatred doesn't make it easy to help people in need. It doesn't make it easy for others to help people in need. It is, as another Australian Christian argued, "appalling, heartless and wrong … [and] beyond the bounds of decency to try to make moral or political points out of such a tragedy."

2) Maybe "flashes from the spirit of God" shouldn't be so flippantly shared in a public way.

3) Don't try to support a "flash from the Spirit of God" with dubious proof-texting from the section of the Bible where God made a covenant with a nation (note – a covenant with Israel, not Australia) instead of individuals.

Alisa Harris

0 Responses to Pastor claims abortions caused brushfires

1. The Bible tells us that God sends fire and brimstone. You’re castigating a Christian for repeating his faith?

2. Aaron says:

Yeah man, all that stuff was Old Testament. We have this grace thing now where God doesn’t squash us or set us on fire every time we screw up. Ms. Harris is simply pointing out that statements like the one mentioned here are not only insensitive and judgmental (two things I’m fairly certain Christians were never called to be), but do in fact make it harder to help people. Instead of taking to the soap box this guy could help organize relief efforts. Huh. Imagine that.

3. D.L. says:

aaron, thank you for writing your reply far more eloquently and filled with boundless more grace and patience than i ever could. I agree with you.

4. Kirk says:

@2 I don’t think it’s illogical to say that God punishes us for our sins. Even in the days of grace, he is ultimately wrathful, just as in the fire and brimstone days of the Old Testament, he was ultimately gracious (see Acts 5:1-10 for the former, and Romans 3:25 for the latter). However, I’m certain that many who died opposed abortion, and there are many who escaped who supported it. Fires and death and other earthly evils are the marks of sin on the world; not necessarily specific sins, but of sin in general. I think that this pastor did damage the cause of Christ by his statements because I think that they are not Biblical. He hit on truths, but I don’t think that he understood them properly and I don’t think that condemnation is the correct response for a Christian.

5. christianswilldestroyusall says:

Wow – all of you sound like deluded mental patients. Fire and brimstone wrought upon us from a big vaporous deity that the Sumerians came up with several thousand years ago? Rules from this same era endlessly touted by psychotic bullies?
    Christians are the scourge of the earth. Don’t believe me? Read some history. Or is reading still evil?
    It’s your man-centric view that has caused the ecological disasters that will soon end this planet. You want to bring the afterlife upon us sooner? Not on my watch.

6. dave says:

I think it would have to be a pretty selective reading of history to pick Christians as the scourge of the Earth.

But yeah, Danny Nalliah has always been crazy and now he’s world-famous crazy.

7. Brandon says:

Most people that talk about abortions never actually know someone who has been down that road in the first place because they can’t step out of the doors of their church and see past their own nose. Would God send a fire to Australia for legalizing abortion? Not too sure…but this IS one of the hottest summers they’ve had in a long time.

Where I agree with #5 is that most of the time Christians are spoon fed and never do the research first, thus they come off sounding like ignorant, angry a**holes….which I know that most of them aren’t.

8. hello dear pastor.how ar you.i am pastor amir fazal lahore pakistan.i running a ministry in pakistan.ministry name WATER OF LIFE ministry & HEALING church.i am preaching in a village.i have a team.plez prayer my ministry.thanks GOD BLESS YOU.FROM chairman & founder Pastor Amir Fazal & sonia amir fazal