No more shenanigans.

ESPN's Michael Smith is reporting that the Dallas Cowboys have cut wide receiver Terrell Owens after three seasons in Dallas.

There is very little information about this out right now (it hasn't even been mentioned on dallascowboys.com yet) but I will probably write something a little more extensive once I find out more.

My initial response is shock and uncertainty. I definitely wouldn't say I'm thrilled about this, despite Owens' off-the-field issues. The Cowboys just let a pro-bowler go and anytime that happens, it's hard to pick up the slack.

In my mind, this makes it more likely that the Cowboys will try to get a WR in the first few rounds of the draft and it also puts a lot more pressure on Roy Williams (the WR) to perform.

I know that the Cowboys will take a $9 million dollar hit on this. It sucks knowing we're paying him $9 million to not catch touchdowns.

Well, the hunt is now on to replace 69 catches / 1,052 yards / 10 touchdowns.

How're you feeling, Miles Austin / Sam Hurd?

bigs

0 Responses to BREAKING NEWS: Cowboys cut T.O.

1. Courtney says:

Yeah well I want a new coach. We should cut Wade Phillips too.

2. Bones says:

If you thought Tony Romo had problems with Owens, he’s going to look like Quincy Carter/Drew Bledsoe without him. I call this the PLAXICO EFFECT. Loosing a superstar receiver will never help you, even if he is a distraction…Now comes my favorite time of the off season where T.O. does a dramatic 60 Minutes interview and some poor coach or GM thinks he has the sanity and patience to deal with him. I love it.

3. Kirk says:

Cowboys suck.

4. D.L. says:

I hope T.O. becomes the NFL’s Latrell Sprewell and says some ridiculous comment about why he needs to get paid only to never be heard of again and never “Oficially” retire. C’mon NFL, you can do it!

5. Courtney says:

Bigs,

You may be right, I’m not sure. But I do agree that Tony Romo does have problems and I’m not so sure that the loss of T.O. will really affect Romo’s lack of ability to play well under pressure.

I still love the Cowboys.

6. Courtney says:

And that was meant for Bones. Darn it.

7. Dylan says:

Take TO’s football ability away and he is nothing more than a grownup spoiled child. He needs to find a coach who is a real disciplinarian, like an old school Dick Vermeil, and try harder to clean up his act fast. Otherwise he may always be remembered for his drama rather than his game.

8. Bones says:

Courtney,
    Props for all the Cowboys knowledge (as opposed to Kirk’s educated comment). I agree with you, but maybe one good thing getting rid of TO does is to stop him from pressuring Romo and screaming at him after plays….I’m just going to throw this out there (you can shoot it down like everything else Dylan) but what about TO to the Patriots??? They have cap space and one of the few coaches/systems that can handle him.

9. Bigs says:

Dylan,
    Take away his football ability? Take away Peyton Manning’s ability and he’s just a big dumb guy. What kind of argument is that?

My guess is that T.O. goes back to San Francisco. For some reason I think Mike Singletary thinks he could handle it.

Bones,
    Seriously? Quincy Carter/Drew Bledsoe? Really? This is the analysis you’re bringing to the table? Really? For reals?

Seriously?

10. Courtney says:

T.O. does have ability, so while maybe the Patriot coaching could handle him, I would not want to see them benefit from that at all!

11. PD says:

Bones,
    TO to Patriots . . . Belichick wouldn’t worry me . . . but what about rapport between TO and Brady or Scarnecchia? It’s not like the Pats’ WR stats are incomparable either.

Pats only play well when they are all in the same “zone.” TO wouldn’t really help them in that regard(?) Of course I don’t really like them so maybe that would be a good thing.

On the other hand, if handled right, he could be an asset.

Then again . . . Not so sure the Pats would be interested in the first place and I’m noooo football expert.

12. Bones says:

PD,
    Point well taken. All I’m saying is that TO is going to go somewhere where he can win. Dallas should have been the place…I’m not positive where it is now, but maybe Patriots, Titans, who really knows.