Me interviewing the original L.T., Lawrence Taylor.

My name actually is Debs, and I'll be guest blogging now and then on No Crying in Sports. After reading everything Bigs & Bones have posted over the past week, I realized I needed to chime in for two reasons: 1) I’m a girl; and 2) Bigs & Bones clearly know nothing about hockey.

Bigs & Bones are sports minus the best one, and that’s where I come in.

It’s hard to say exactly where I’m from, but I grew up in northern New Mexico. After brief stints in England, France and New York City I currently reside in Pittsburgh. Hockey is the reason I moved to the Steel City – to intern for the Pittsburgh Penguins. While I won’t be providing you with any juicy inside information, I like to think I know a thing or two about Canada’s pastime, so stay tuned, eh?

First things first: my sports creed.

I BELIEVE…

• God created hockey on the first day, right after the ‘let there be light’ clause.
  • It is acceptable to cheer for any team EXCEPT the New York Yankees, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Detroit Red Wings.
  • The Red Wings suck.
  • The NBA is annoying.
  • The problem with MLB is all of the steroids drama.
  • I’ll defend Sidney Crosby over Alex Ovechkin any day.
  • Salary caps are evil.
  • Peter Forsberg was the best player in the world before the lockout.
  • Michael Jordan should have stuck tobasketball.
  • Michael Phelps isn’t human.
  • The 1980 Miracle on Ice was the greatest moment in sports.
  • Watching the Giants destroy the Patriots perfect season was the second best moment in sports.
  • And, there’s no crying in sports!

dfrancisco

0 Responses to A dose of Debs

1. Annie says:

Peter Forsberg will always be the best player. And the Red Wings are of the devil.

2. nathan says:

in agreement on the giants… but only partially, because i wasn’t alive in 1980 😉
    look forward to seeing what you have to say… as long as you don’t always talk about hockey.
    because i’m from mississippi, and we just don’t get the idea of ice sports

3. Bigs says:

You’re clearly picking up our sloppy seconds when it comes to sports choice.

Also, I’m clearly a Sean Avery fan.

I’ll be honest, I was a huge fan of the Stars back when we had Modano, Hatcher, Hull, Belfour, Hitchcok, etc. but it’s hard for me to keep up with it other than the occasional “Ovechkin scores from his stomach” headline…or “Crosby: injured again!”

I’m clearly being confrontational right now.

Glad that you’re picking up the slack – reaching that hockey demographic. Canadians everywhere are cheering.

4. Bones says:

I agree 100% about the Giants…and I have to admit that most of my hockey knowledge came from playing NHL Hitz as a kid. Brett Hull and Forsberg were gods….but Crosby over Ovechkin??? We have problems there.

5. Derby says:

-The Red Wings s*will win the Cup again this year*

(fixed that for you. Also, sorry about taking two of your best players. 🙂

6. Debs says:

Derby,

Are you trying to tell me a team that lost 0-8 to Nasheville last week is winning the cup again? Good luck.
    Also, Considering Conklin one of Pittsburgh’s best players is a stretch at best. He was (and still would be) playing in Fleury’s shadow. He needed to go somewhere where he could have a future, whether that was Motown or Minnesota. That’s how goaltending works. I’m looking forward to a showdown between the Sharks and the Wings in the West.

7. D.L. says:

Florida Panthers for life!! hahaha. Yeah, right.

Debs, i will have to agree with you that watching the Giants beat the Pats to keep the ’72 Dolphins’ perfect season perfect was the second greatest moment in sports history. As for the first…oof, someone should blog about that because clearly, it’s undecided.

Can we get some march madness-style brackets with votes on it and rounds to advance to?

Should i start blogging here too?