I recently received word through a new friend that The New Evangelical Partnership for the Common Good captured audio of Fox News’ Glenn Beck encouraging listeners to leave their church if it proclaims a concern for social justice on his March 2nd radio broadcast. Here’s the quote from Beck:

“I’m begging you, your right to religion and freedom to exercise religion and read all of the passages of the Bible as you want to read them and as your church wants to preach them . . . are going to come under the ropes in the next year. If it lasts that long it will be the next year. I beg you, look for the words ‘social justice’ or ‘economic justice’ on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words. Now, am I advising people to leave their church? Yes!”

Listen to the audio here.

He then picked up this thread on his television show that evening:

“Communists are on the left, and the Nazis are on the right. That’s what people say. But they both subscribe to one philosophy, and they flew one banner. . . . But on each banner, read the words, here in America: ‘social justice.’ They talked about economic justice, rights of the workers, redistribution of wealth, and surprisingly, democracy.”

Click here for the video.

You don’t need me, or The New Evangelical Partnership, to tell you that Beck is crossing the line, but you can do something about it. Check out the campaign they set up and pledge your support for their video response project. If you can’t do that, here’s an alternative to Beck’s suggestion, if your church is actively engaged in bringing about social justice, hug your pastor.

0 Responses to Glenn Beck Wants You to Leave Your Church

1. I wish the NEP wouldn’t feed the troll. Beck and his minions will just adore what they’ll call “limp-wristed leftist hand wringing.” Best to just ignore the eminently ignorable.

2. Danny Bixby says:

You know, if people hear the message of Glenn Beck about social justice and it makes them want to leave…I say best of luck to them. I’d want them to leave too.

3. D2U says:

You are taking this out of context. Beck did not say don’t help the needy. He is saying don’t feed into the government control and takeover of social and economic policies whereby they take your money and put it where they want it to go instead of you placing it where you sense God want you to put it.

4. Michael says:

You’re right, D2U, when you say that Glenn Beck did not say that we shouldn’t help the needy. But I don’t think that anyone was taking that as his point. He said that we should not go to churches that talk about social justice. This is apparently because, according to the quote from his TV show later that day, social justice is something that was part of the Nazi and Communist agenda. Comparing social justice to the systematic extermination of millions is crossing the line, and that is what people are upset about.

5. kennethos says:

Hmm…Glenn Beck, being against social justice? Or being against social justice apart from the Gospel?
    I think it’s the latter. More embarassing, though, is the rank bigotry and prejudice in this blog entry.
    Is this really the best you can come up with regarding the right?
    Perhaps you also think Limbaugh encouraged folks not to give to Haiti earthquake relief…

6. Josh H says:

Michael,
    Him bringing in Nazis and Communists ties to a theme that him and Jonah Goldberg are constantly repeating: Nazis and Communists are both ‘big government’. ‘Social Justice’, when enacted by government, is ‘big government’. Therefore Social Justice = Nazi/Communist.

As someone who often disagrees with Beck and thinks that even when he’s right he doesn’t know why he’s right, I cannot dispute his reasoning.
    His tactless delivery is used to get blogs to mention it. He wins, I guess…

7. Harris says:

Does it make a difference that Beck is Mormon? In his advice he seems to be equating conservatism generally with the Gospel; this is really another form of Civic Religion and yes (gasp!) of theological liberalism. You know, the idea that really, we’re all alike, all good (and so none in need of the Gospel).

I think I’ll pass.

8. D2U says:

We are called to love others by helping them personally and as churches, but we don’t do that by the government taking our money and doing their thing with it instead of Christians being able to use what God has given to them to help others. Beck is warning people not to cuddle up to the big government nanny state mentality.

This warning is good for the church…which seems many times, out of laziness, would just allow the government to continue to take what it wants as long as it thinks it will look after the people…by not being vigilant and realizing how much will be wasted and not get to the people in need because of it going to special interest groups of the government and governmental bureaucracy.

The term “social justice” is a term that depending on its context can represent different things determined by how, why, and who is using it. Social justice was and is a term used by Nazis, Communists, and Socialists but used in a totally different manner, and for a totally different reason, than that term would be used in most churches.

Beck is concerned that churches might be deceived into being pulled into this negative propagation of the term “social justice” as defined by Nazis, Communists, and Socialists. Millions have perished through this type of “social justice” that did and has encompassed a systematic extermination of millions.

The best thing to do is for churches to adopt another name for its social and spiritual care of people so the terms will not be merged, clouded or misinterpreted. Those who use this term in a political manner will not change as they rely on hiding in words like this to make them palatable, so it is up to the church to change. How about “Christian compassion” in lieu of “social justice” as this is terminology that they resist?

9. Matthew says:

Josh: if you can’t see the flaws in Beck’s reasoning, I’m happy to help you out.

Even if you accept the premise that social justice when ‘enacted’ by government implies big government (a premise I reject: constitutional rights fall under the umbrella of social justice, yet they have nothing to do with big [or small!] government), the idea that a church that advocates for social justice is part of a coming totalitarian conspiracy is beyond absurd. It’s just more of the paranoid blanket-statement nonsense for which Beck is so rightly maligned.

10. Nathan says:

I like how even some of the most hard core conservative churches are now likened to Nazi Germany in Beck’s angel dust induced psychotic world view. Despite the teasmoker’s insistence that any kind of government intervention leads to Gulags and a loss of freedoms, I’d like someone to point out where in the Western world (save perhaps Venezuela) a socialist democracy has concentration camps and a lack of basic human rights.

I’d also love to know what Beck & The Teabaggers et al think of the Jubilee or any number of radical, government mandated remedies to social problems that you’ll find in the Torah.

See? It’s easy to be an off-the-handle, abusive, bigoted blowhard. Even /I/ can do that. Hopefully I’ve properly demonstrated my point that it’s better just to ignore the trolls than to feed them. Fox News is the 4chan of journalism.

11. Jeremy says:

@Matthew, constitutional rights and social justice are not analogous. we are not talking about civil rights issues here. To say that “social justice” is not the platform of big government is at best, an ideal. In the real world, it has become the platform of modern liberalism, which seeks to expand government. I don’t even like Glenn Beck, but this is being taken completely out of context. when the term social justice is used in today’s terms, we are talking about welfare, redistribution of wealth, health care “rights”, etc. The church should have no part of that discussion.

@Nathan- you look at Venezuela like it impossible for the United States to become that way, yet, for the past 10 years, our own presidents have been ramming UNPOPULAR policies down our throats with no ramifications. you cannot find a poll (DailyKos or HuffPost doesn’t count) that suggests any majority of Americans want this health care bill passed, yet our country’s leadership is moving on with it. there are polls that show that the majority of Americans feel like the federal govt is a direct threat to their rights as Americans. not far off at all….

12. Steven says:

Jeremy,

Social Justice does indeed cover civil rights. Martin Luther King campaigned for social justice (all being equal).

When Pastor Rick Warren uses the term “social justice” he’s talking about Assisting the Poor, Caring for the Sick, and Educating the Next Generation. These are social justice issues.

Social justice helps the poor become equitable. The sick become well.

Education is a big part of this. You help the poor eat today, but if they can’t sustain their own food sources they will be hungry tomorrow.

Paul wrote to the Corinthians, “Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality, as it is written: “He who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too little.”

Jesus said, “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,” equating himself with the poor and hungry.

Civil rights are a part of this too. If the poor or minority groups do not have access to education or assistance they can’t sustain themselves with dignity.

As far as polls, what about the Wall Street Journal: http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/090617_NBC-WSJ_poll_Full.pdf

I would argue most people don’t know enough about the health care bill to have formed an opinion of it, because polls show measures within the bill are supported by wide margins by the same people in the polls who are against the bill itself. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/24/cnn-poll-health-care-provisions-popular-but-overall-bills-unpopular/?fbid=HVhuZ9ICde0

13. Jeremy says:

@steven
    You can’t give me a poll from june of 2009. In today’s political landscape that is decades ago. obama would kill for the approval/disapproval rating he had in june ’09 right now.

I will not argue that the church needs to take a much bigger role in what you and Warren would define as “social justice”. Where we part ways is how the church has chosen to go about addressing that. The modern church in America has become far too involved in politics, not realizing that changing laws does not change the heart.

Paul writing to the Corinthians is not applicable. He was writing to the church body in Corinth and laying out fundamental church principles. If we are to take what he said in a government context, we should all read the communist manifesto and imperialism, the highest stage of capitalism next.

I can’t argue with Jesus. I agree entirely, and think it is the church’s responsibility to enact his commandments. Getting in bed with politicians who are not of like mind is not the way to achieve said commandments.

Now, trying to analyze the overall unpopular health bill by breaking it down into individual provisions is not how it works. Of course everyone wants the poor and uninsured to be insured. This is not a political science class that operates in ideologies however, and in order to do that, someone has to pay for it. The bill that has been proposed is financially unsustainable and irresponsible to boot.

Finally, looking at what our founding fathers, and in particular John Locke, believed. Everyone is created equal and with equal rights to life, liberty and property. It is up to the individual though, to improve themselves. Government should not dictate morality. Everyone in this country can choose to make something of themselves through avenues like education. To say that the poor have no chance of that in this country is not only incorrect, but a slap in the face to everyone who already has.

14. Camnio says:

interesting article to say the least.

15. Nathan says:

@Jeremy: you demonstrated one of my points. By ignoring the whole of the argument you found a single perceived flaw and attacked it. Again I will ask: what tangible rights are we losing? Where are the gulags?

The gestalt of my argument stands. The fact that only a single Republican I’ve talked to can articulate why he doesn’t like universal healthcare on its lack its merits alone-without referring to communism or quoting Orwell- disturbs me.

In all honesty I don’t like this health care catastrophe anymore than the average GOP member, but the sheer idiocy of the so-called arguments they present angers me nearly to the point rejecting their position out of hand.

My party has been reduced to a circus of straw men and ad hominem attacks. Why argue the merits of a health care plan when you resort to calling people communists and nazis.

I wish my party would just stick to the facts instead of scary hypotheticals and nasty rhetoric.

16. Justin says:

I’m not particularly brilliant or well informed. So this may really miss the mark, but I guess I’m willing to look a little foolish. Forget Beck for a moment and please allow me to suggest a hypothetical scenario. IF it was made into law – that everyone receiving incomes exceeding x dollars was required to relinquish the majority of their wealth for even distribution among the masses (i.e. a government mandate of Paul’s exhortation to the Corinthians) then I think Paul’s point would have been missed. I believe that, regardless of the good that could be done, if it isn’t done in a manner that also provides individuals with freedom, then I think it will be unsustainable. I suspect that, in the Kingdom of God, individuals do the right thing because they recognize and value it, not because they are forced. I used the word “hypothetical” because I didn’t want to imply that this scenario is what is actually before us. But I don’t think it should be too hard to see why some folks might be uncomfortable with the idea of trying to attain utopia via legislation. That is how some of the most destructive governments in history framed their ambitions: in terms of the highest, most necessary moral good. But take freedom out of the equation (even under the auspices of helping people) and I think the highest, most necessary moral good is already off the table.

17. Jeremy says:

@nathan
    What argument of yours have I ignored? You made no argument on this blog. Your only “contribution” to this discussion was bashing an easy target in Glenn Beck, who again, I cannot stand.

Here is my argument simply put so you can understand it. I do not want our nation to adopt more socialistic principles because larger government suppresses the economy. In order to pay for larger government, taxes must be raised. Raising taxes will stymie any economic growth and any private sector job creation. This will cause our economy to shrink which will decrease the tax revenue which then causes our government to borrow more money to pay for its programs. As we borrow more money, our dollar continues to get devalued, which only works if you are China and supply the world with cheap exported goods. The result is inflation, which one reason why gas is $2.75 and a snickers bar and a 20oz coke are $3.00 now. That isn’t even the worst part, the worst part is that China now holds the majority of our debt, which gives them enormous leverage over us. (look up the US UK conflict over the suez canal to see why it matters). They could dump our debt and literally crash our dollar and with it our entire economy. If you think that this recession is bad, it would look like the golden age compared to what we would be in. Look at all of your true “socialist democracies” in the EU, and tell me that their economic outlook is better than ours. You can’t because it’s not. Yet obama wants our economy and government to model theirs? Germany’s economy, which is the top economy in Europe, shrank 5.4%, and its expected growth is under 1% in 2010. They wish they had our numbers.

Now, let’s go and spend another trillion dollars over the next 10 years, and cross our fingers that none of this happens! Increased government involvement and spending in any economy has never in the history of modern economies, improved anything. I am not against the idea of universal healthcare. I am against the reality of how they plan to implement it. Being from Boston, I know first hand how Romneycare is working. Don’t you think if it was a huge success, obama would be singing it’s praises? He NEVER mentions it because it is the top reason why the economy in Mass is in the dump. He speaks about the economy like he is reading from a book. There is zero practical knowledge or experience and it painfully shows. btw, if our government spent a million dollars a day starting on the day that Jesus was born, they would not have spent even close to a trillion dollars by 2010. These aren’t just words being thrown around, they are actual numbers and real debt.

@justin

Couldn’t agree with you more. From increasing taxes to cutting tax breaks on charitable donations, this government wants to dictate to its citizens how to spend our own money.

18. ahumanoid says:

just do the work that
    needs to be done:
    feeding the poor,
    ending slavery, and
    promoting peace.

19. Olsen says:

1. There are lots of people who champion “Social Justice”. What does it really mean? You have to define your terms first.
    2. Beck was not being anti-Catholic. Don’t read into things and try to raise a ruckus where there is none.
    3. Why do we tolerate such angry name calling by Mr. Joe Carter? There is no justification for responding to Beck with such an un-Catholic attitude.
    4. Mr. Beck is not ‘dumb’, a ‘rodeo clown’, or ‘outrageous’. Sure, you don’t have to agree with everything he says but why throw out the baby with the bath-water?! The liberals hate him and you want to be on the same side?!!
    It doesn’t come down to name-calling and anger. Face some ‘inconvenient truth’… and if you don’t like it, don’t rain on everyone else’s parade! Some of the comments above… talk about anti-Catholic! Act your religion…

20. TruthBeagle says:

Glenn was referring to churches that preach social justice by promoting government involvement, not by the biblical sense of ‘people helping each other out of their own good will’. The term ‘social justice’ has many different meanings, as many terms in the English language do. The term may ‘sound good’ to everyone, but how are the individual churches defining it?

Unfortunately, the ‘soundbite’ of his statement typically being abused by the liberals and their twisted agenda, without informing people of the rest of the context. Or, without referencing the history of the usage of ‘social justice’ that he was referring to.

My question to the churches who are speaking out against Glenn after hearing the ‘sound bite’ that the ‘gotcha’ media and liberal attack dog blogs are spreading to try to complete their agenda of destroying Glenn:

‘Do you believe in class-warfare?’

Most churches will say ‘No. We don’t believe in or support that.’

The term ‘Social justice’, when misused by churches for political reasons, can be defined as class-warfare.

Then that church would also be against ‘social justice’, in the context that Glenn was speaking, even as they promote the term ‘social justice’.

Interesting. When a church preaches in a way that supports conservative ideology, the left screams to remove their non-profit status. When they preach support for government control and someone speaks out against that, all of a sudden politics in the church is ok. True Hypocrites.

21. TruthBeagle says:

For greater understanding, his response to the liberal blogs…here is the transcript. Kinda long, but Glenn can only be distorted in 20 second video clips, not explained:

GLENN: Let me give you the organ of the Obama administration, the New York Times by Laurie Goodstein. She says, “Last week the conservative broadcaster Glenn Beck called on Christians to leave their churches if they hear preaching about social or economic justice, saying they are code words for communism and Naziism.” Well, yeah, the communists and the Nazis, and I presented that evidence last night on the TV show. It’s pretty hard when I take their own words and play it coming out of their own mouth and then show their own magazines, their own newspapers using those, that language for this exact purpose, for Naziism and communism, progressivism in America. But why get down to the facts.

“This week the remarks prompted outrage from several Christian bloggers.” Now, let me ask you a question. The New York Times says they’re above all, they the news that’s fit to print. They found this to be a, how many paragraph? One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve paragraph story from several, quote, Christian bloggers. Oh.

PAT: Unnamed?

GLENN: No, no, they’ve named one.

PAT: Oh, they have named them?

GLENN: Yes. The Reverend Jim Wallis.

PAT: Oh, that Christian blogger. And by the way, did they mention that he’s an advisor, a spiritual advisor to the president of the United States, Barack Obama?

GLENN: No, they haven’t mentioned that.

PAT: They haven’t mentioned that?

GLENN: No, they don’t mention that here.

PAT: He’s a disinterested party? He’s just a Christian.

STU: Random Christian typist, okay.

GLENN: Who leads the liberal Christian antipoverty group.

PAT: Oh, is that what it is?

GLENN: It’s a Christian antipoverty group.

PAT: Oh, okay.

STU: At least they said liberal. That’s more than they normally do.

GLENN: Right. He called on Christians to leave Glenn Beck. That sounds like a boycott. I wonder if one will follow.

STU: Wait, wait. An advisor to the president being tied to a boycott? That doesn’t sound possible.

GLENN: Wait, wait, wait, wait.

STU: It doesn’t sound possible.

GLENN: Wait. One who studied Marxism?

STU: No, it doesn’t seem. I won’t listen to it.

GLENN: Okay. So “what he has said attacks the very heart of Christian faith. Christians should no longer watch his show,” Mr. Wallis wrote on his blog. His name of his blog? God’s Politics.

STU: (Laughing).

GLENN: Now, I wasn’t aware that God had politics. I would like to again join all of the liberals in suggesting we have a separation of church and state, that maybe there’s a problem when your preacher stands up and starts telling you who to vote for, how to vote, and what the government should look like.

Now, I know there are churches that do that. I don’t attend them. I don’t like them. You can do that if you want, but if you want to make sure that God’s politics aren’t America’s politics, you know, that would probably be a good thing to check into those words of those churches. Because I don’t think God has politics. I think he has the truth.

“His show should be in the same category as Howard Stern.” That sounds like Saul Alinsky.

STU: Successful? Is that what he’s trying to say?

GLENN: “In attacking churches that espouse social justice,” the Times writes, “Mr. Beck is taking on most mainline protestant, Roman Catholic, black and Hispanic congregations in the country.” Not I wonder if, I wonder if we’re going to get the churches like Jeremiah Wright’s now to say that I’m a racist. I mean, it’s not hard for Jeremiah Wright to call people racist and then, of course, there would be a campaign against my sponsors because I’m against a race I’m again a racist because I’m antipoverty, I’m antipoor.

PAT: No, because yeah, let’s get that position straight because you are pro poverty, right?

GLENN: I am pro poverty, antipoor.

PAT: Antipoor.

STU: What is your decision making process then when you’re doing this tour and the main three parts of it are faith, hope and charity?

GLENN: Hope and charity? I know.

STU: Why would you include faith and charity?

GLENN: I have no idea.

STU: I don’t understand it, weird.

GLENN: No idea. “Mr. Beck said on his radio show March 2nd, I beg you look for the word social justice or economic justice on your church website. If you can find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice are code words.” Quoting me. Am I advising people to leave their church? Yes, if I’m going, if I’m going to Jeremiah Wright’s church, he said, referring to President Obama’s former pastor in Chicago. If you have a priest that is pushing social justice, go find another parish. Notice, notice, leave your parish, not your church.

PAT: Right.

GLENN: Go find another parish. Go alert your bishop.

STU: Do you have a are there dot dot dots that you are skipping over here?

GLENN: No, uh huh.

STU: Because I’m looking at our transcript and, you know, maybe we transcribed it wrong, but you you said social justice and economic justice, they are code words. Now, the idea hang on, Stu is saying that I’m advising people to leave their church? Yes! If I’m going to Jeremiah Wright’s church. In other words, when you said something, I asked you in your ear to clarify it.

GLENN: Oh, my gosh.

STU: Which you did immediately afterwards by saying you referred to Jeremiah right’s type church, a Black Liberation Theology or Marxism or church that’s turned into a political arm.

GLENN: Yeah. Religion scholars say the term social justice now listen. This is a defense if you know history, this is their defense? Religious scholars say the term social justice was coined in the 1800s, codified by successive popes and adopted widely by protestant churches in the 1900s.

PAT: After the progressive movement had kicked in. Jeez.

GLENN: For the love of Pete. Marx started in 19 1848. All of this stuff started percolating, all of Nietzsche comes along, everything, it’s redistribution of wealth. I’ve told you this, the progressive movement started with people like Woodrow Wilson whose father was a preacher! They perverted Christianity! “The concept is that Christians should not merely give to the poor but also work to correct unjust conditions that keep people poor.” Yes! You’re exactly right. We should as Christians do that. But then there’s that added little step of having the government do it, not you. “Many Christians consider it a reoccurring theme in scripture. Mr. Beck himself is a convert to Mormonism, a faith that identifies itself as part of the Christian family but nevertheless rejected by many Christians. Philip Barlow, Arrington professor of Mormon history and culture at Utah State University said one way to read the book of Mormon is a fast track on social justice.” Yes, that is one way to read it.

PAT: I’ve never heard it described that way.

GLENN: A lot of latter day saints would think that Beck was asking them to leave their own church.” Yeah, sure, uh huh. Mr. Barlow said that “Just this year the church’s highest authority, the quorum of the twelve apostles, issued a new handbook of instructions.” I love this. “Which they revise the church three fold mission and added a fourth mission statement: Care for the poor.”

PAT: People! People! Individuals!

GLENN: That’s you.

PAT: Jeez.

GLENN: Caring for the poor.

PAT: Unbelievable.

GLENN: I have no problem. Faith, hope and charity. Yes! That’s what Jesus said! But when Jesus came down, you know what it who were the Pharisees? Who were the Pharisees?

PAT: A group of intellectuals?

GLENN: Wait, wait, wait. The intellectual elite of the time?

PAT: Uh huh, uh huh.

GLENN: Wait a minute. Did they have any power?

PAT: Uh huh.

GLENN: Did they? Did they have any power in government?

PAT: Uh huh. Yeah.

GLENN: Did they have any power in the church at the time?

PAT: Uh huh.

GLENN: That’s weird!

PAT: Yeah.

GLENN: So they were the elite, intellectual elites, they were the political elites of their time and they were the religious elites of their time, and they were all the same thing?

PAT: Uh huh.

GLENN: All three of those in one?

PAT: Weird, huh?

GLENN: It’s weird.

PAT: Weird.

GLENN: And so what did Jesus say? Get away from the Pharisees! Because they had perverted the mission of Christ into what? Political power. Hello!

STU: (Laughing). Yeah, what you I mean, the easiest way to boil down what you’re talking about is don’t let your church turn into a political arm.

GLENN: Yes!

STU: That’s really controversial.

GLENN: Your church is there and that’s why I said I don’t care what church you go to. I don’t care. As long as that church is telling you and helping you be a better person, be more honorable, be more honest, be more giving. But once that church starts to preach social and economic justice, especially through the structure of a giant government, well, now that’s something totally different. Now, now you are talking about a church that is getting involved in government itself. We don’t do that. We don’t do that.

STU: Yeah. I mean, and the easiest way to understand what you were talking about is if you were talking about the poor, your own church obviously, they pointed out there that they do care about caring for the poor. So were you advising people to leave your own church? Were you advising your other parishioners to walk out of your church because you can’t take it? Did you leave your church this week, Glenn?

GLENN: No, I didn’t.

STU: Did you leave it?

GLENN: No, I didn’t.

STU: Why not? Clearly the New York Times says you were calling for yourself to leave your own church.

GLENN: Because everyone, everyone can follow the dictates spirit and worship any way that they want. The idea is separation of church and state when it comes to, it is not a political arm. The your churches are not political arms. Now, that doesn’t mean you don’t stand up for what you believe in, especially if it is an attack on what you believe. You stand up for what you believe. If you think that you can get in I know we have to wrap it up. If you think you can get into bed with these socialist, Marxist, social justice and economic justice people and retain your right to worship in the way the spirit dictates to you, you’re out of your mind. Because they’ll be your friend today but they are going to turn on you and rip your heart of your church out.

22. Steven says:

@Jeremy So the argument is the government should not reflect the Christian values of its citizens, and should create its own values out of a void?

We need to government to “protect the unborn” but we don’t need the government to protect field laborers from their corporate employers? We need the government to intervene in matters of who should get married to whom, but the government shouldn’t be involved in who should get access to medical care? We need the government to get involved in end of life issues when a vegetable is on life support for 11 years, but the government shouldn’t be involved when my grandma goes to the doctor and discusses end of life care?

Last September, Sean Hannity came all the way out here to “real America” (Central California) and broadcast his show from the San Fernando Valley. Why? In the battle for social justice. Sean Hannity was looking for government handouts from Obama, and Schwarzenegger. He was defending the workers’ entitlement to jobs, and farmers’ rights to water.

Even Glenn Beck himself got in on this social justice initiative. Glenn Beck even criticized the Federal Government for not providing FEMA support to the area to distribute welfare food and supplies.

This Fox News sponsored social justice initiative should definitely be brought to the attention of Beck.

Why exactly is it alright to demand the government provide water and food for farmers, but wrong to demand the government provide food stamps to black kids in Harlem? Or health care to those same farmers?

Why should the church use the government to end abortion, and “protect the sanctity of marriage” but not for any other Christian value?

23. Steven says:

@TRUTHBEAGLE

“The entire basis of liberal arguments is to ‘remove context’ to distort meaning.”

You mean the way Glenn Beck removed the entire context of Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, and focused on one term “social justice” (which he uses interchangeably in this transcript you posted with Marxism) and distorts its meaning.

“For further detail of what constitutes as the negative use of ‘social justice’, see his program on Thursday, March 11th. (and not ‘out of context’ clips)”

This transcript you posted Beck takes himself out of context. That’s just disingenuous of Glenn Beck to now be saying he was only referencing one specific church, and that was Wright’s church. He’s cutting things out of his own words and then telling us that he didn’t mean any of the context. I’m sure his audience isn’t those people in Wright’s church. He instructed a caller who was catholic to talk to his bishop about stopping this talk of social justice (the caller’s daughter was in catechism).

He’s even paring his own words in this NYT rebuttal he said he said “Notice, notice, leave your parish, not your church.” Right after saying, “Am I advising people to leave their church? Yes!”

And then he does the whole separation of church and state thing. If caring for the poor is a Christian principle, and defending the innocent is a Christian principle, is Beck now also opposed to the Christian organizations fighting against abortion or same-sex marriage?

Protecting the unborn is a social justice issue. I’m always hearing that in a Christian nation such as ours we would be judged by God for allowing the killing of so many children go unfettered. So why exactly does that not also include the facts that people picking tomatoes get paid pennies per hour in Florida, or the working conditions in meat packing plants causes all sorts of health related issues? Or what about the fact that 1/3rd of all children in Harlem have asthma thanks to environmental pollution?

There are a lot of “social justice” issues than can be addressed without the government, and then there are some that require petitioning the government to correct. This is what Martin Luther King, Jr did in the 1960s. This is what the founding fathers did in the 18th Century. ( http://www.historycarper.com/resources/twobf2/hospital.htm )

We can debate whether or not it’s the government’s job to support entitlement issues or not, but it’s not a “perversion of the gospel” (as Beck said) to petition governments for justice towards the poor. That’s exactly what the prophets did in the Bible.

Finally, one more example of social justice: The Law provided that the poor who could not afford a lamb for sacrifice could purchase a dove. The political system of the temple made the price of doves so expensive the poor could not make their sacrifices. Jesus ran those guys out of the temple.

James 5:1-4 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty.

Jer. 5:28-29
    Their evil deeds have no limit;
    they do not plead the case of the fatherless to win it,
    they do not defend the rights of the poor.
    Should I not punish them for this?”
    declares the LORD.
    “Should I not avenge myself
    on such a nation as this?

Malachi 3:5 So I will come near to you for judgment … against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear me.

(Notice this Jer. passage refers to a “nation” not an individual.)

24. jm says:

Is PATROL for real? If you honestly think Glen Beck needs a counter-movement, your life is too cushy. I guess this is given for those who think “Chasing Amy” is journalism of any sort. Youth movements… I guess they have to be patronized, right?

25. Richard Warren says:

Why is so difficult for preachers and Christians to understand Jesus Christ was not about social justice. If you search the Bible, you will see that the poor are the spiritually poor needing the Gospel to become saved. They are not physically poor which need physical nourishment. It is the task of a church to give the Gospel so that the spiritually poor in the congregation become saved. It is not about physical nourishment. Jesus said in Matt 11:5 “and the poor have the gospel preached to them.” Matt: 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” God also tells the believers in Matt 24:15 and Revelation 8:4 to leave the churches. It is dangerous to attend a church today, with their false teachings and doctrines. The Bible is for individuals to study and try to understand the spiritual message. The churches should be about the Bible and reaching the unsaved who are spiritually poor and not about poliltics. Jesus said, “render unto Caeser what is caeser and to God what is God’s.” Also, when you see the words, the blind, the deaf, as well as the poor in the Bible, remember, that God is talking about the spiritually blind, deaf. They cannot or hear the spiritual truth of the Bible. The lame cannot walk spiritually with Godand need a Savior. The maimed are not completely saved and need a Savior. The lepers are those who souls are completely dirty with their sins and they need a savior. They need to be cleansed