Surely you’ve all heard by now that Sufjan Stevens has released a new EP online. This is exciting news for Sufjan fans everywhere, but I would urge you to think twice before paying the 5 dollars to download the music. It was not even 10 years ago when Islamic radical extremists destroyed the World Trade Center on September 11th, and already we’re going to support a man named “Sufjan” as if nothing happened on that tragic day?

It may sound like a good idea at first. Many believe that supporting this man’s music will help heal the wounds left by the terrorists, but come on people, we do not live in a vacuum. The fact of the matter is that this album should be released under another name, something with less Islamic connotation than “Sufjan.” Or, the album should be released in a different format. EP also brings to mind other Islamic names. Ep Shiraa. Ep Sadaar. It just hits a little too close to home.

Think of the families who suffered and lost their loved ones in that tragedy. Out of sensitivity towards them, refrain from supporting this so-called Stevens. And be warned, some sources have indicated that Sufjan’s middle name is Usama. Sufjan Usama Stevens? Doesn’t sound like the kind of artist I want singing our national anthem before a baseball game.

Many of you may be asking, “but is Sufjan a terrorist?” The facts here are foggier than we should be comfortable with. First of all, he has never outright condemned Hamas. Should we support someone who isn’t clear in his separation from terrorism?

And many of us have heard that Sufjan is actually a Christian. Well to that point, where is his birth certificate?

Look at the last two tracks on All Delighted People, Arnika and Djohariah. Does anybody know what those words mean? I don’t, but I’m not sure if I want to find out.

It’s too soon, Sufjan. Even if you and your album have no connection at all to terrorism, your name reminds of Muslims, which in turn reminds of 9/11. So please, for the sake of the families still having nightmares about towelheads riding camels into their homes and stabbing their children with those big curved swords from the movie Aladdin (by the way, Sufjan’s name actually means “comes with a sword.” Coincidence?), please, change your plans and release your album somewhere else.

As a New Yorker, you’d think Sufjan wouldn’t be acting in such poor taste on this issue. He lives in Brooklyn, practically two blocks away from Ground Zero! Is he even an American? Was this 50 States project all a huge cover-up for his Islamic plan to take over the music industry and lull us all into submission with his indie-folk-pop harmonies and “beautiful” melodies.

And if I can speak to Sufjan directly for just a moment. Mr. Stevens, have some tact! If you really love your fellow New Yorkers, you’ll change your name. Sure you have a constitutional right to whatever name you want, but this issue goes deeper than political freedoms. This is an issue of the heart, and with the release of this album your heart seems to say “This is an issue of freedom, not misguidedly ignorant and possibly racist emotions.” And to that I say, boo. Boo to you, Sufjan.

We had to kick a different folk-singer “Stevens” out of the country, and if Sufjan doesn’t change his tune, he’ll be joining Cat Stevens with Uncle Sam’s boot print on his ass. Take your Islamic propaganda somewhere else, YuSuf.

dpeterson

39 Responses to Sufjan Is An Insensitive Name

1. Onionz says:

He’s OK! I can prove it! His father was a Roman!
    Mandy

2. Michael Douglas says:

Arnika is a flower and Djohariah is Sufjan’s sister–two very innocent things.

3. Dudewhoplaysdrums says:

This article is a joke, right? Surely, you don’t expect people to take your argument seriously, am I wrong? If I am, then wow! This is some of most ignorant bigotry I’ve heard in the last few years. Sufjan Stevens is one of the finest (and most honest) musicians of our time. Please take some time to learn more about Mr. Stevens and listen to some of his music (and lyrics) before you make such a severe snap-judgement. America is a far more wonderful and forgiving place than you make it out to be. It is the kind of nescient dross written above that gives the rest of us free-thinking political conservatives a terrible name.

4. Taylor says:

I sure hope this is a joke. Sufjan is an incredible musician. I don’t know how a person can judge another like this based solely on his name and the names of two of his songs..

5. larry says:

God what a moron racist idiot!

6. Saori says:

Wow. Comments like this are about as ignorant as they come. Educate yourself dude. Anyone can bang out a blog entry in five minutes when they don’t bother to look up the very words they site writing about. Here’s hoping your head is above the sand now. Saori

7. Brice says:

This post upsets me.

8. JosephB says:

If this is not a joke then you are on the border line of deranged and paranoid. Just saying…

9. lol says:

0mG $$$Oo0OO00 +rU dpeterson!!!!!!!!!!!!11 $ufJ@n i$ a +3rr0r1$+ 4 $hur

10. Mikeopoe says:

Hey doogies, I just got this album on vinyl. The D side had a bunch of Sufjan’s piano solos: double plus good. I really like the Cristian themes in the album. Also, lol, U r +H3 B3$+!!!!!

11. Allison says:

You, are a most ignorant moron.
    Does Sufjan even look middle eastern to you?
    His brother’s name, Marzuki, is that also inherently terrorist-sounding and offensive to you?
    As far as I have heard, Djohariah is the name of his sister, whom I believe he wrote the song for.
    I’m still not sure what Arnika is about, but I’ll be honest in that I haven’t frequented the lines of the lyrics in it either.
    Before you stuff your foot in your mouth again, actually listen to the songs and try to figure it out.
    God forbid someone has a middle eastern name and puts out an album after nine eleven!

12. ste says:

What a twat

13. Elizabeth says:

I must believe that this is a joke.
    Otherwise … I am fearful.

14. Lauren says:

Wow. I honestly cannot believe I just read this. Every other sentence in this article contradicts the title itself. How is making such insensitive, ignorant comments going to improve the situation you find so appalling? I am so boggled by this. Please take a step back and take a look at the human race before you open your mouth next time.

15. Lucy Osborne says:

Oh my lord!
    Are you serious? It’s the guy’s given name! Say my name’s Lucretia…. It doesn’t follow that I’m from a long line of sexually corrupt murderous Italian noblemen and must change my name immediately lest I cause offence to the general public. Oh……..and FYI Sufjan, or Sofian as it is more commonly spelled here in Europe, directly translated means ‘he who walks quickly’ (in the opposite direction when he sees a berk like you approaching if he knows what’s good for him).
    Of course, if you’re not serious than fair play to you. Very funny post. I’ll check your other posts out and hope to find that your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek.

16. Brallenbach says:

At first I was upset by reading this, like most other people who read it, but the more I read the funnier it got. This is class A sarcasm. Funny stuff. Also, This EP was better than the full length he put out afterwards.

17. Derek says:

I think it’s the fact that there are so many “Christians” out there actually saying/writing things like this in all seriousness that makes it hard to see your tongue-in-cheek intentions. I hope this doesn’t get misinterpreted by even more people and make it’s way around the blogs and postings to become yet another reason for them to see the church as ignorant, hateful, and racist.

18. Totally what I expected from this website 🙂

You seemed to have drawn more comments from types that wouldn’t normally read this website as well. Not sure how you did it. Unless people are searching ‘is sufjan a terrorist’ which you rank first, but then I wonder why they are searching it in the first place and why they don’t like your answer.

19. Brendan says:

I stumbled upon this blog while searching for a well written article. All I found was this piece of trash review that lacks any sense of qualified research. You are using fears of terrorism to prevent this man’s innocent music from being heard. If anyone here is a terrorist, it’s you. Although your writing seems to be honest, you need to think twice before you begin to insult talented individuals. Likewise, by the way your article is written, I ask that you put your efforts elsewhere.

20. Brendan says:

Additionally, his parents gave him the choice to change his name when he was an adolescent and he chose to keep it. In fact, you’re insensitive to tolerant people who have to put up with your manipulated, garbage mind.

21. vla says:

people like the author of this article is the end of all brain usage…i have stopped feeling sorry for you.you are true garbage…

22. autumn says:

…He can’t help thar his name is Sufjan. Leavr the man alone sheesh

23. Thanks for another impressive document. The spot in addition may anyone have that sort of information and facts in these an excellent manner of writing? I’ve a display next full week, that i’m to the try to find similarly info.

24. bananana321 says:

Are you serious? If your ridiculous formula is to be followed then your beloved Uncle Sam needs to exercise that bigoted boot print of his on the asses of the following: Tim McGraw because well, why put the families of the OK City bombings through the torture of hearing an actual convicted terrorist/murderer’s name who is responsible for the deaths of their loved ones and your fellow Americans? Every time Tim belts out Live Like You Were Dying it’s got a hit a sore spot for the families of the victims, no doubt. Also add to this preposterous list Terry Bradshaw lest we forget about Timothy McVeigh’s accomplice Terry Nichols, would Uncle Sam be alright with booting them in the ass considering they likely share your Uncle Sam’s DNA? Also, Adam Levine’s gotta go too a la Adam Lanza of Sandy Hook infamy? Far too fresh a wound! Also, where are all the Seung-Hi Cho’s hiding? You lot have got a lot of nerve sticking around in the US of A after what took place at Virgina Tech. In fact, shut down all of the Chinese owned-operated restaurants, no fried rice in protest of what took place. By your reasoning, all Muslims and related things/people need the boot due to 9-11, so by your reasoning, if one is to assume you’re not the bigot you clearly come off as, any and all reminders of heinous crimes against American -humanity need Uncle Sam’s boot lest we be reminded of the pain inflicted by them. Therefore, kick yourself in the ass or find a guy named Sam and ask him to. Your inhumanity combined with the immense stupidity on display in the form of your written work is a crime in itself. How the hell have you made the world a better place by participating in fear mongering? Shame on you.

25. Francesco Beroldo says:

he is going to be a great singer; I really like his music; his name means ‘walk fast’; I think he’s got to if he has to avoid nonsense like this by dangerous losers

26. Cat says:

Clearly you haven’t done any research whatsoever (and I realise that this article is 3 years old). Sufjan is his real name. His middle name is NOT Usama. He’s very in touch with his religion and he IS a Christian man- listen to Seven Swans, it’s heavily Bible-based. He even attended a Christian college. And as far as I’m concerned- and I can confirm this because I’ve actually met him- he is a very sweet man and never has any harmful intentions. Please, before you write an article as ignorant as this, do your research!!

27. Josh says:

Hahaha you, friend, are a brilliant satirist! Either that, or you have your head stuck remarkably far up your own ass.

28. Ren says:

You are insensitive and ignorant. It is sad that there are people in the world like you who judge a person without any logical reason. His name is Sufjan. Big fucking deal.

29. 38gaucho says:

As soon as you said “EP” reminds you of Ep Shiraa I knew there was absolutely no way this wasn’t satire.

30. yo frump the police says:

Guys.
    It’s a joke.
    This is not a serious article.
    It’s satire.

31. Patricia Jolley says:

You are an idiot.

32. Beatriz Guacamole says:

you know nothing peterson

33. TD says:

This has to be a joke right? I hope it is or we are in a lot of trouble….idiots like this is what makes Americans look bad. Shame.

THIS IS THE MOST IDIOTIC THING WRITTEN SINCE 9-11.

34. Heaven Heathen says:

Whoa. You’re a fucking retard.

35. Justin S says:

According to the ignorant, racist author of this piece, anyone with a Middle Eastern name is a terrorist unless proven otherwise.
    Please, go get an education and become more cultured before writing anymore articles.

36. Aaron Atkins says:

The name sufjan is Armenian, not inherently islamic…

37. Baylor says:

You’re stupid.

38. Baylor says:

Can’t tell if this is satire. Really awful writing says no. Really awful things to say point to I hope so.