I could have become Michele Bachmann.

Reading a recent Bachmann profile in The New Yorker felt like attending an awkward cocktail party with former best friends whom I now stalk on the internet but haven’t spoken to in years.

The story describes Bachmann’s influences – including figures like Francis Schaeffer and David Noebel, who most Americans have never heard of but who are superstars in conservative Christian circles – and I found them all familiar faces from my childhood as a culture warrior.

Continue reading at CNN’s Belief Blog.

Raised Right by Alisa Harris

Alisa Harris‘ new memoir, Raised Right: How I Untangled My Faith from Politics, is now available for pre-order.

Tagged with:

Alisa Harris

0 Responses to I Could Have Been Michele Bachmann

1. Perry Granberry says:

Just want you to know that no candidate for the Presidency deserves the sort of cheap shots that you took at Mrs. Bachman! Also you managed to besmirch one of the last centuries true prophets of Christianity, if not the only one. Who are you to criticize Francis Schaeffer , a true Christian heavyweight! If this is a sample of what your book is like, I pray it flops so as not to do disservice to our Faith!

2. I really appreciate this being shared and the author’s experience – I too was “raised right.” There is still a copy of Schaeffer’s book on my father’s shelves. As I grew up, I had to cope with the evolution of my political and spiritual beliefs approaching something I could live with, even as everything in my upbringing told me I was “backsliding.”

Conservative Christians are very strong believers in Proverbs 22:6, but too many of their values are associated with dominionism, which champions the acquisition of control by Christians. For me, it was a the continued discipline to emulate Jesus, as well as the inspiration of William Stringfellow’s “An Ethic for Christians and Other Aliens in a Strange Land” which revealed to just how little that has to do with honest faith and practice.

It’s no secret that we are now witnessing the death throes of evangelicalism, and its intrinsic connections to conservative ideologies have been its downfall. One hopes that the individuals who were caught up in the movement are later able to find a place of peace and belief, without the stigma of “backsliding” in the aftermath.

3. Theresa K. says:

Alisa, Good job! I am definitely planning to read your book. You are smart and brave; keep growing in the truth. I am also a former evangelical who left moorless megachurches and so-called Christian culture in utter disgust. I found a church and pastor who were much better trained in biblical truth and began to unlearn 30 years of false teachings. I’m still conservative, but now separate religion and politics and embrace God’s gifts wherever He plants them (in all of culture and people). I’m from Mrs. Bachmann’s home area and I won’t vote for her for several reasons. I truly think that the GOP dumped Tim Pawlenty in favor of Bachmann because they concluded that there is little chance to win in 2012 against President Obama. Bachmann will never win a presidency, thankfully. She can probably continue to be a decent Senator, though.

4. Odgie says:

As a younger Christian I had a brief infatuation with right-wing politics. Then it was left-wing politics. Now my politics are all over the map. I’m certainly no fan of Bachmann’s but I don’t have any disdain for believers who are. While I am sure that this is not the author’s intent, this post sounds a little bit like the Pharisee in the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector (Luke 18: 9-14).

5. Doreen M. says:

Alissa Harris looses credibility in her characterizations of Francis Schaeffer, David Noebel, and Summit Ministries as somehow being on the far outer fringes. I am not a devotee of any of these people or groups(nor am I A Bachmann supporter, but, I do recognize that they represent a point of view on the spectrum of American thought. In Manhattan, a place that is certainly one of the most judgmental and least tolerant of any diversity of thought, Francis Schaeffer, David Noebel and Summit Ministries would certainly qualify as far right wing fringe groups. But, in the rest of America, we understand that they simply represent a legitimate point of view on the spectrum of American thought. And whether we agree or not, they have a right to their opinions.

6. Joe M says:

Let’s see. A. harris writes for WORLD for years as a conservative. Now she’s changed her mind, and she expects us to assign her instant credibility because…? Vintage PATROL, where a Twentysomething thinks she knows all the answers since she has been liberated from her bad and simple-minded upbringing. Maybe she should simply take a breather, and not think her very few years are worthy of a an autobiography. It’s as brash and unwise as the Harris twins’ celebrity turn on the conservative side. Get some life experience, and then preach to us. In the meantime, lighten up. At least Bachmann has the credibility of years and time in the workforce. Harris’ suffering through a video on anal sex just doesn’t carry the same punch, sorry.

7. jimbo says:

I Could Have Been Michele Bachmann…

Uh,no…you couldn’t. Maybe trying to capitalize on someone else’s popularity and name recognition will help you peddle your book, though. So good luck with that.

8. Jenny says:

Wow! I heard my jaw drop on the floor when I read your book where you talked about going to a “worldview camp” in Colorado. I knew (!!)it was Summit. I also went at a fifteen year old and have no pleasant memories from that time. I see it as a time when an interior rage and fear took hold that I’ve felt for years was totally antithetical to anything Christ taught. Noebel always scared the crap out of me, and all the literature we still (??!) get from Summit is full of information that terrifies you into thinking the world is ending tomorrow, and there is nothing you can do about it other than give yourself over to the crazy…I have young friends who go there today, and they come back with a hardened inability to have a conversation–a meaningful, thoughtful, humble conversation–with anyone who doesn’t agree with them politically. It’s their right to exist and so on, but it’s not a place for hearts to become more Christlike. Maybe more Republican, but definitely not Christlike.